May 07, 2012

Rouge Valley Bike Ride

     Sunday was a beautiful day for a bike ride! I woke up at 6:30 this morning to get ready and have some breakfast, and was out the door by 8:00. I have done a similar route to this one many times before but found a variation of my ride on a website for the Tour De Rouge Valley (a free recreational ride held every year). I figured I would give it a try. Here's the map for the ride.

     I got a little off course at the beginning of the ride because I missed a turn off of 9th Line for Box Grove Bypass. It was a nice ride except for the busy traffic on Steeles between Reesor and 9th Line (which would occasionally pass a little closely), and the traffic on 9th Line between Donald Cousins Parkway and Elgin Mills (because the road had no shoulder at all and the outer edge of the road was very rough).


     The fields were full of bright yellow dandelions and many of the farms had the animals outside for grazing. Once I was off the busy roads the traffic was light, the roads were reasonably smooth and there were tons of cyclists out for a ride. The must have been some sort of organised ride going on because I passed several groups of riders throughout the day (not because I was fast but because they were all going the opposite direction). One group looked to have as many as 100 people.


     I would do this ride again with some minor detours to keep me off of the busier roads I encountered. Here's the Garmin data for the ride if anybody is interested in trying it.

1 comment: