August 19, 2012

August 18, 2012 Bike Ride

     I had to meet some friends for a barbeque at noon and I had planned on doing a nice ride that day. I decided that I would still do the ride but I would wake up at 5:30 in the morning so I would have time to do my ride and get home for a shower before lunch. I had planned on doing my standard 'Zoo Ride' route twice for a total of roughly 80km.


     The ride started out well and the roads were nice and empty. However, when I got to my turn around point on Main St I shifted into my front big ring and dropped my chain. I don't clean my chain as often as I should so putting the chain back on the ring was a messy job. It only took a couple of seconds to fix but it still wasn't fun.

     The rest of my ride was going great but I spaced out for a moment near Steeles and hit a large rock which gave me a front flat tire. I took my time fixing the flat (the whole thing probably took ten minutes) but while I was out there on the super wide gravel shoulder I had two separate pace lines slow down to ask me if I was alright, two individual cyclists did the same and a kind driver turned his car around to see if I needed a ride anywhere or a drink of water. I have heard stories from other cyclists about how other people on the road are assholes but I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the kindness and concern of strangers. I now know if I were ever to be stranded out on the road with a fatal mechanical error I wouldn't have to worry about receiving help from others.


     I replaced the tube on my flat tire but for some reason the tire would not seat properly into the rim and was ballooning out on one side. Luckily I was only about 5km from my car so I rode the remainder of the way back very slowly just in case my tire decided to blow again.

     Because of the flat tire I was only able to do about half of the distance I was originally planning but it was a beautiful day and I still had a great time. I'll probably head out to the rouge valley again next weekend if the weather is nice and try to do the ride again.

Untitled by crappymonkey at Garmin Connect - Details

No comments:

Post a Comment