July 20, 2012

1995 MIM fender Strat

     I got this guitar in a trade ( I think it was for my Dillion Firebird but I can't quite remember). When I got the guitar it sounded and played great but the pickguard was a mess. It was white and looked like it had been shattered and glued back together. I decided to replace all of the electronics and ordered a Superstrat Wiring Kit and a set of grey bottom single coil pickups from Guitar Fetish. The Supertrat Wiring Kit allows for 13 different pickup configurations:

  • 1) Bridge Pickup In Phase
  • 2) Middle Pickup In Phase
  • 3) Neck Pickup In Phase
  • 4) Bridge/Middle Pickups In Phase
  • 5) Middle/Neck Pickups In Phase
  • 6) Bridge/Neck Pickups In Phase
  • 7) All Three Pickups In Phase
  • 8) Bridge/Middle Pickups Out Of Phase
  • 9) Middle/Neck Pickups Out Of Phase
  • 10) Bridge/Neck Pickups Out Of Phase
  • 11) Neck/Middle Pickups In Phase, Bridge Out Of Phase
  • 12) Bridge/Middle Pickups In Phase, Neck Out Of Phase
  • 13) Bridge/Neck Pickups In Phase, Middle Out Of Phase

  •     
         The kit came with some nice and clear instructions and after about an hour worth of soldering everything was installed and working properly. Unfortunately, I did not like the new pickups or dealing with all the toggle switches (too many options to play with). I put the pre-wired pickguard up for sale at my cost and it sold in a day.


         I used the money from the pickguard sale to order a standard black H/S/S pickguard, a Crunchy Pat high output humbucker for the bridge and some black single coil pickup covers. I salvaged the neck and middle pickup from busted up white pickguard that originally came with the guitar and wired everything together. The guitar is set up with 9 gauge strings and plays like a dream. The MIM neck and middle pickups are nice and smooth and the bridge humbucker has some great crunch. I also love the black on red look. It reminds me of Brad Gillis of Night Ranger lol. I give the guitar a 9/10.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment